As a pregnant woman in the Netherlands, you have the option of having your baby tested for the likelihood of down-, edwards and patau syndrome. This is researched by performing the NIPT or combined test, which usually takes place at 11-14 weeks into the pregnancy. These tests are optional.
The ultrasound at 20 weeks is a comprehensive medical ultrasound where it is assessed if the baby has any birth defects or not (as much as the scan can reveal). Among other things, development of the brains, heart, and other important organs are looked at. This ultrasound is optional.
At the 20 week ultrasound we also look at the softmarkers linked to birth defects. Softmarkers are a possible indication of a syndrome (e.g. Down syndrome). If these softmarkers do present themselves it is not a guarantee that a birth defect is present. Additional research is required in some cases.
The 20 week ultrasound takes place at the Echo Centre Utrecht.
For more informatie go to the website www.onderzoekvanmijnongeborenkind.nl or dowload the English e-brochures on our website or Webapp.
Locations for getting a NIPT blood test in Utrecht :
- Saltro Locatie Werradreef, Werradreef 2, 3562 CW Utrecht: Ma t/m Vrij 7:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Saltro Locatie Jacobstraat, St. Jacobsstraat 209 B,3511 BP Utrecht: Ma t/m Vrij 8:00 am – 12:00 noon.
- Saltro Locatie Rubenslaan, Rubenslaan 190, 3582 JJ Utrecht: Ma t/m Vrij 2:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Wilhelmina Kinderziekenhuis, Lundlaan 6, 3584 EA Utrecht: Ma t/m Vrij 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- St. Antonius Ziekenhuis, Utrecht Soestwetering 1, 3543 AZ Utrecht: Ma t/m Do 7:30 am – 5:00 pm.
It is most practical to go to the ‘Saltro’ locations for the NIPT blood test, because in most cases you also have a lab form for some other blood test that is performed in pregnancy (blood type, hemoglobine, glucose, HIV, Hepatitis B, Lues, irregular antibodies). That test is only possible at a Saltro location.